Hanover weather

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

26.64 miles: Two Bear race report

Sunday, Sept 16, I ran the Two Bear Marathon in Whitefish, Montana. It was a marathon in distance only. It is not comparable to my past marathons. This was a very hilly course (about 4 times as Philly) and the first 15 miles or so were trail running and the last 11 on roads and paved trails alone were more hilly than any marathon I've done. 

My Garmin GPS recorded a distance of 26.64 miles. The runner right behind me recorded 26.66 miles. I don't trust it was 26.2 miles as they said they had to change the course a bit from last year. I don't mind running extra. I just consider it a free 0.4 miles.

My average pace via my Garmin was 12:38 per mile and my time was about 5:36.  I'm very happy with this pace because my ultra pace from the Strolling Jim was about a minute slow (about as hilly over a longer distance).

It was up and down running on trails. It was great but very hard! I don't train on trails, just flat roads.
(source: http://www.twobearmarathon.org/race_virtual_tour.php)

It was a well run race. Hammer Nutrition was the race sponsor. It was great it have my favorite products every 3 miles or so. There were plenty of aid stations. I carried no water or gels and was fine with the distance and supplies.

The race was so much fun. It was a cold start (lower 40's) but after a few miles it wasn't cold just perfect. It was a cruel start as we walked downhill to the start and ran back up the hill after starting. 

We ran on some fire roads but most of the first 15 miles were on single track trails. It was great! I need to do this type of running more often. I saw a few people fall and saw the results of a few falls (bloody knees and hands).  It was hard to look around and enjoy the scenery but it was way better than dodging cars and dogs in the suburbs. 

I'm had no idea how hard to push it but I think I pushed the right amount. I'm rather sore now but didn't crash the last few miles. It was hard but fun. I even puked for the first time ever after a marathon, so I'm guessing I pushed hard enough.

I really want to do this marathon again! I think that's the best review of it I can give. Here is the medal they give to finishers of the marathon.




Lodging. You must stay at the Bad Rock B&B if you visiting the area. This was probably my 7th time staying there and I can't wait for the next visit.

Up next: Thursday- A short run and then back to a normal training path to the my next Marathon in about a month.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great experience. Congratulations on the time for the race - it sounded like a difficult course.

    ReplyDelete