Hanover weather

Saturday, November 24, 2012

26.2 miles: Rookie mistake (11/18)

It turns out in a month's time, I have run my fastest marathon ever and my slowest ever (this one in 4:55). 

Sunday I went 26.2 miles in the Philly Marathon. The first 6 miles were fine and I was on track pace wise. However, from there my stomach started to hurt. It only slowed me a little bit at first but it got fairly bad by mile 16 or so. I had to walk at times during the last 8 and wait in a line for a porta-potty (that cost me a few minutes). I was slightly worried I would have to walk the last few miles. I was only able to run for tens of yards at a time before my stomach hurt too much and I was reduced to walking.

I'm not 100% sure of the cause but the leading candidate is the Gatorade I had during the race. It has caused me problems in the past but I just wasn't thinking in the race when I had some. I think I was thinking I just didn't like it, not that it would cause me problems. The rookie mistake was eating or drinking something new in a race that I didn't use in training. This is one of the first rules of running. It's possible the Gatorade was not the problem but I need a scapegoat and Gatorade is a good one.

 I'll likely run the Philly Marathon again, I'm not sure at this point it will be next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment