Hanover weather

Sunday, October 16, 2011

7 Bridges Marathon race report


Photo: from around mile 25.8 (but running in the other direction). Taken the day before on a family walk.

Overview: Today I ran 26.2 miles in the 7 bridges Marathon in Chattanooga, TN. My unofficial time (my watch) was 4:43:48 (official time 4:43:41; updated 10/18/11). This is just about a minute faster than my last marathon time, thus that time was not random. My goal today was to run between 4:43 and 4:59. I determined at mile 16 I was on pace for the faster goal and somewhat backed off because I had some time to spare. I worked hard today but did not super push it since this was more of a training run for the Philly Marathon in November. I'm not suggesting I could have run much faster, just maybe by 3 or 4 minutes. My legs are tired and I will be sore.

Race report: This was great marathon. It was the first time it was being run. The start was a little disorganized but it didn't really matter since it was a small marathon (300 people for the full). There was no start sign and no gun. The fast runners just took off (someone must have said, not yelled, go). I was only about 10 yards back.

The course ran over 7 bridges and on some of the great water front trails in Chattanooga. It is a great outdoor town. There were plenty of aid stations staffed with very good volunteers and while more porta pots are always better there were plenty compared to a typical event. I ended up just using of the park bathrooms around mile 21 or so that was right on the path of the run and made one other break in a wooded area earlier.

I took in about 7 gels and an unknown amount of water/Powerade. I was trying to take in less fluid than I normally do and it didn't seem to effect me so I might stick with a lower level. The weather was great at the start (upper 40's?) and ended a bit warm and sunny (lower 70's?). The weather was a non-factory for 20 miles and only a slight factor for the last 6, overall the weather and shading was great.

Me: I had a poor night of sleep as our 4 years old was with us at the hotel. He woke up a bunch of times like normal. However, since this is normal, I'm somewhat use to it and train under the same poor sleeping conditions.

In the race I felt great for 13 miles or so, from mile 13 till the end I felt a bit off in my stomach. Likely the result of gels I normally do not take. I think I had a vanilla gel that didn't sit quite right. I had planned to take Hammer gels (my normal product) but forgot to grab them this morning. However, my stomach never got off enough that I would claim it slowed me down. It was right on that edge. My foot gave me a scare around mile 14 or so. I thought a major problem was coming in my right foot but it never did show and that scare past by mile 16 (about).

My best miles were probably miles 20-23 when I ran and talked with a pacer for a 4:40 finish. I think I probably could have stayed with him but it would have been pushing it more than I wanted to for this marathon. The pacers were a bit off in the first 6 miles (the 4:40 guy got passed by the 4:15 girl around mile 6). I didn't exactly trust them after that and just ran my own race. I think they finished on time. I heard them say my 4:40 guy finished with 30 seconds of that time.

Post run: there was a great set up of food and drinks. However, I didn't take anything as my stomach was still not great and I had to start the mile walk back to the hotel that gave us a late check-out.

overall: Great marathon and I had a good time. This marathon will stay on my radar to do again if it fits in the family/work/running schedule.

up next: A low mileage week this week and then build back to another 20 miler or two before tapering for the philly marathon. Goal for philly? Faster than my time today.




1 comment:

  1. This will be my first marathon, and reading this just gave me goosebumps! I am so excited. Mentally and physically really to make this a great, fun and memorable run!

    ReplyDelete