Hanover weather

Friday, February 11, 2011

The plague, the blizzard, and the 22.1 miler


Today I ran 22.1 miles. It was my first run since Sunday. My wife came down with something she was calling the plague and it must have been because she stayed home from school on Wednesday and that never happens (think Hermione from Harry Potter). We also kept our son home from school because of a coming blizzard (for the south) and I wasn't feeling 100%. I didn't run my scheduled 22 mile Wednesday run. Thursday, I was down and somewhat out. I probably could have run but thought a day of rest was a better idea. So today I ran. I'm still not 100% but was close enough.

Anyway, I knew I would need more water than I had been carrying (1.2 liters) for this long run and so I filled up my extra water bottle and stuck that in my bag. However, when I went for my first drink around mile five I discovered I had not filled up my normal bottles. Hence, I was out for a 22 mile run and I only had 1/2 liter of water. I'm a big water drinker, so I knew that was not going to work but I was afraid if I went home to fill them up I might not go back out since I'm not feeling 100%. I changed my planned route so that I could pass by a city water source I knew was open in the winter (around mile 11).

For this run I also added solid food. I had a banana and some pretzels to go along with 2 gels. The point was, in part, not to get too hungry but also to practice eating solid food; something I will likely be doing in ultramarathons.

My running app for my iphone, Runmeter, just got an update. It must have slightly better battery management because it lasted long than it had in the past. I was worried it was going to run the battery down before I got home, so I ran to the park where I knew I could run mile laps (mile 17-19) and then 3 miles home if it did cut out. However, my phone lasted for the entire run. I got to 22 miles and kept running for a bit but then changed my mind and walked the rest of the way home for a cool down.

Up next: 12 miles on Saturday (this could be interesting, I'm sure I'm going to be sore).


No comments:

Post a Comment