Hanover weather

Monday, January 10, 2011

0 miles, My rough training plan outline

General training plan outline:


Since my best days for long runs are Wednesday and Friday using set plans found elsewhere is out. Those plans assume your long runs (12 plus miles) are on the weekends or at least two days in a row. The key to marathon training and likely Ultramarathons is the long runs. So that is my main focus here:


1) The basic set up is going to be a two week module (call them week A and B) that I just repeat over and over and add miles each time I repeat it. Week A will be one really long run and one shorter long run and the following week (week B) I'll do two medium distance long runs. For example, in the middle of my training Week A might include long runs of 25 miles and 15 miles and the following week B might be long runs of 20 and 20. So for each week in the module the long runs will add to the same total miles (40 in this example) and when I start a new module I will add a bit to the mileage total for the long runs.


2) After reading what I can find on the internet and asking the advice of Trail Slammer (He finished four major 100 milers in one year), I'm planning on making my longest training run about 30 miles. He said he would not do much more than that even training for a 100 mile race.


2) The other runs will be 12 miles or shorter. The general plan is to run about 5 on Tuesday, 12 on Saturday and 5-6 on Sunday. The goal is to run 5 days a week, taking Monday and Thursday off (Thursday being a big work day). I'm not going to 100% stick to those distances, I may reverse Saturday and Sunday distances for example based on the weather and the family schedule.


3) My guru, Hal Hidgon, suggests taking a step back in mileage every third to fourth week and I think it's a great idea. Instead of building these breaks into a plan I will let them come to me. I know my wife will have some weekends trips and my kid is likely to get sick and I might need to skip a midweek run or cut it short for all sorts of reasons. I don't want to plan breaks in running on a good day to run only to be following by a week of forced cut backs. If I find my body really getting run down due to not taking breaks I'll likely skip the tuesday treadmill run to reduce the mileage total for that week.




No comments:

Post a Comment