Hanover weather

Sunday, January 2, 2011

12.3 miles and more dog "Fun"


Today I ran 12.3 miles (90 calories, 1 liter of water). It was a good run other than having to turn around twice because of dogs. The first turn around was more of me just being careful. The dogs didn't do anything but I wasn't sure I wanted to go that way anyway and when they both stopped to watch me coming their way I just went the other way.

The second one was a problem. It was a loose "wolf" breed with no owner around. It was sitting on the same side of the road as me and I saw it maybe 1/2 mile out so I switched sides but as soon as I did it took off straight at me across the road. I stopped running and just slowly started walking backwards. A car came along and must have figured out what was going on because it honked and that scared the dog into some yards. I ran into a small complex and waited a bit before just reversing course for good (around mile 9).

I'm really thinking about carrying a can of dog spray with me and some sort of metal rod in my backpack. It wouldn't help if I was surprised by a dog but it could have helped today. I want to avoid all legal issues but want to be bit by a dog less.

Up next: Monday is a schedule day of rest.

Below: the difference between geese in TN and NJ. The NJ geese would be coming towards me to attack, these polite TN geese are quietly swimming away (photo from mile 11 above).



4 comments:

  1. My buddy is a marathon runner in OH. When a dog chases him he turns on it and chases it screaming. It seems to turn the predator drive into prey. It's worth a shot but don't blame me if you get bit :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why the slur about New Jersey geese? They have been in therapy for anger and turf management. But you are right, they still are angry and protect their turf (which is anywhere they are - or want to be).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do turn it around on the dogs if they get to close and that has worked most of the time. The one dog it didn't work against wasn't a big threat but still was trying to bite me.

    Those NJ geese have come after my wife on a run. They did seem nicer last time I was up there so maybe the therapy is working. Are they seeing sopranos therapist?

    ReplyDelete
  4. They were seeing that therapist until they became dinner for Tony.

    ReplyDelete