Hanover weather

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

7 treadmill miles

Three steady miles followed by 4 miles of interval work. I started with a 9:30 min/mile pace and increased that pace by one setting (0.1) every mile until I got to three miles with a pace just under 10 min/mile. The rough plan was just to keep doing that increase till I got to 7 miles but the boy started coming in a lot at mile 3, so I switched to intervals.

The interval length was picked by the boy and his needs. The intervals were between 0.25 miles and 0.5 miles in length. I started with intervals at a 10 min/mile pace but got in about 1.5 miles (0.5 miles x 3) at a 9 minute pace and 0.5 miles at a 8:00 min/mile pace for the last 0.5 miles. I was sucking wind at the end of that 8 min/mile pace. It felt good to be able to run that fast (that's fast for me) after 6.5 miles. It did help I was inside (lower 70's), on a treadmill, and was able/had to take short breaks (all under a minute). I walked an extra 0.25 miles as a cool down at a 6% incline.

I drank about 2 liters of water and had 1 Endurolyte during the run. I ate 1 banana during a break (maybe mile 3.5). I ate the banana as practice for ultra's by taking in some solid foods; I had no ill effects from eating it.

Overall: It was a good workout. I know my heart rate was up and I was pushing hard during the last 2 miles worth of intervals.

Up next: 3 miles tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment