Hanover weather

Sunday, August 29, 2010

8 Miles and some lessons


I had a 10 mile run scheduled for today. I was thinking this was a short run and made a big mistake in not wearing running socks which I normally only wear for long runs and then made another mistake by running across a grass field that was still soaked in morning dew at the start of the run.

The combination of non-running socks and wet shoes lead to me getting a blister on my right foot about the size of a half-dollar. I made another mistake in not checking on it as soon as I felt something happening on my foot; by the time I did check around mile 7 it was a large blister and too late. I tried adjusting my socks but when I started running again I could tell it did not not help.

I made a quick call that two more miles of running just to get them in was not worth the extra growth and damage I would do to the blister spot. I cut off two miles and just headed home.

Lessons learned: Pack extra socks in my pack for long runs (anything that requires me a wear a pack), pack a footpad or duck tape, and always wear running socks. I'll also remember to always check my foot right away. This was something I knew to do but just didn't do it.

**Photo**My wife pointed out the other day that I'm making Franklin look like a running paradise with my photo's. It's not. I might be great if you just ran 5K's because the local parks where I have been taking photo's are great. The roads between the parks are not the best roads for running. This section is a section I must run just about every time I leave our complex. It makes it not worth it if I'm headed out for less than 4 or so miles which is why most of those short runs are done in the complex. Since the run today did not go well, it's a good day for a realistic photo of the running around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment